Bus and coach travel in Austria
Although most people travel by train in Austria, there is a comprehensive ÖBB Postbus network throughout the country and newer coach operators such as Flixbus now operate both domestic and international coach services.
You can search Austrian long-distance and international coach services here:
Domestic bus and coach travel in Austria
Domestic buses are most useful for getting to some of the ski resorts in the Tirol and Vorarlberg regions, and international routes (especially routes to eastern Europe) are also handy and more likely to be used by travellers.
ÖBB Postbuses are operated by both the post office and the rail network, however it is not possible to use your railpass for travel on the Austrian Postbus network. The Postbus is by far the most comprehensive domestic bus service with over 40,000 bus stops throughout Austria served by 900 bus routes and 30,000 daily services.
Other domestic services in Austria include coaches run by Flixbus serving the following routes:
- Klagenfurt–Sankt Michael in Obersteiermark
International bus and coach travel to and from Austria
International buses connect Salzburg, Vienna and several smaller cities with services to cities in Croatia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Slovakia and Slovenia. The main international coach operators include Eurolines and Flixbus although ÖBB Postbuses also operate some international services (mainly between Vienna and Bratislava).
International coach services operated by Flixbus include:
- Bregenz to Berlin, Leipzig, Lugano, Milan, Munich and Regensburg
- Innsbruck to Ancona, Berlin, Bologna, Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Leipzig, Milan, Munich, Nuremberg, Rimini, Stuttgart, Venice and Verona
- Graz to Ljubljana, Maribor, Munich, Rijeka, Split, Trieste, Venice, Zadar and Zagreb
- Linz to Augsburg, Brașov, Bucharest, Budapest, Milan, Munich, Reims, Paris, Prague, Strasbourg, Stuttgart, Timișoara and Verona
- Salzburg to Berlin, Brașov, Bucharest, Munich, Nuremberg, Regensburg, Timișoara and Zurich
- Vienna to Amsterdam, Augsburg, Berlin, Brașov, Bucharest, Budapest, Cologne, Dresden, Düsseldorf, Essen, Florence, Frankfurt, Gdańsk, Hamburg, Hannover, Heidelberg, Kraków, Leipzig, Ljubljana, Lviv, Łódź, Mainz, Maribor, Milan, Munich, Nuremberg, Olomouc, Prague, Rijeka, Rome, Saarbrücken, Split, Stuttgart, Timișoara, Trieste, Venice, Verona, Warsaw, Würzburg, Zadar and Zagreb
- Villach to Bled, Koper, Ljubljana, Munich, Poreč, Portorož, Pula, Rijeka, Rovinj and Venice
Busabout coaches stop in Graz, Grünau im Almtal, Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna. Vienna is the only destination in Austria served by the Eurolines Pass, although Eurolines do serve other cities in Austria.